While people say that money doesn’t buy happiness, we all seem to be in a better mood when payday approaches. But, once most of the money is spent over the course of few days, we end up feeling worse than we did before getting paid. Therefore, probably more accurate saying would be that money doesn’t buy lasting happiness.
According to psychologists, human adaptation often steals our happiness. For instance, when we purchase something new, its appeal wears off once the item is not new anymore. In order to experience the same feeling of happiness, we need to keep buying new items regularly. Maintaining happiness in this way is bound to fail, given that most people have a limited amount of money.
The good news is that a team of researchers at Cornel University has come up with another way for people to enjoy life. According to Professor Thomas Gilovich, travelling allows people to experience the same happiness as they do when buying goods. But, this happiness sticks with us long after the trip has ended, meaning that the memories keep making us happing as long as we retain them.
In brief, these experiences result in happiness which is deeper and more meaningful, so devoting more time and money to travelling than buying things, we will be happier for longer. While walking outdoors and playing sports are also rewarding experiences, traveling and visiting new places is number 1, says Professor Gilovich.
Here are 15 quotes which support this idea. Check them out!
1. “Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.”—Mark Twain
2. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”—Andre Gide
3. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel`s sake. The great affair is to move”- Robert Louis Stevenson
4. “Travelling- it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”- Ibn Battuta
5. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.”- Anais Nin
6. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”- Gustave Flaubert
7. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.”- Anonymous
8. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.”-Henry David Thoreau
9. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.”- Anna Quindlen
10. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.”- Freya Stark
11. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
12. “The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.”- Sir Richard Burton
13. “No place is ever as bad as they tell you it is going t be.”- Chuck Thomson
14. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”- Mary Anne Radmacher
15. “Adventure is worthwhile.”—Aesop