The years following college are anything but good to us. We are pushed into a world with student debt, jobs that don’t pay enough, and relationships that are constantly changing.
If this sounds familiar and you are feeling utterly los, here are some things you need to be reminded of.
1. You’re not going to be lonely for the rest of your life
23 is a complicated age. College is over, professional life is beginning, and social life is put aside or under cover. It feels like you aren’t close with the people around you, and far away from the ones that matter to you.
But, it doesn’t mean that you will be lonely forever. All you have to do is to give it time and give your relationships time to evolve.
2. You don’t need to be working your dream job right now
You don’t need to be working you dream job right away. It is okay to take an unfulfilling job to pay the bills or volunteer to get the needed experience. Just keep moving!
3. Everyone feels lost at some point
Everyone feels lost at some point of their lives! It is completely normal to have a period where you have no clue what you are doing.
4. Someone is going to love you again
Someone is going to love you again, even if it doesn’t feel like it at the present moment. The ability to love people doesn’t go away.
5. You are going to love you again
Don’t get disappointed by the person you are now. You have time to grow, evolve, and improve yourself, until you become the person you are proud of.
6. You still have so much time to fail
You have time to fail, whether it is at love, career, personal goals, or creative aspirations.
7. You are allowed to set and keep boundaries
Most young adults say “yes” to a lot of things as they don’t know whether they are allowed to say no in the first place. In reality, you are allowed to both set and keep boundaries in order to stay stable.
8. You are never entirely without support
Maybe your friends or parents aren’t always available to help, but this doesn’t mean that you are entirely without support.
9. Being disappointed in yourself just means that you know you can do better
Being disappointed in yourself ( in moderation) is a good things as it indicates that you strive towards something better.
10. It’s not your job to live someone else’s dream
You don’t have to do anything unless it makes you happy. You don’t need to do things to impress others. Follow your dreams and aim at impressing yourself instead.
11. ‘No’ is a very important word
You need to understand that you are allowed to say no, whether it is to a job you don’t like or the things that prevent you from pursuing your goals.
12. Nobody can read your mind – you’re going to have to ask for what you want
Nothing will come to you if you don’t ask for it. People are not able to read your mind, so it is up to you. This is how the adult world looks like.
13. You don’t have to be embarrassed
Confidence is the key to success, so make sure you are confident enough and not embarrassed by anything, whether it is the job you are working or the person you are dating.
14. Your body is not seventeen anymore
Your body is no longer seventeen, so you cannot live on alcohol, junk food and power-naps forever. Treat your body better so that you keep it healthy and steady.
15. You’re probably hotter than you think you are
Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are definitely hotter than you think you are. Begin believing in yourself a little more!
16. If you had it all figured out right now, the rest of your life would be boring
Why would you rush things when you have so many years to discover and experience things? The future has lots of time to fall into place, so having it all figured out will make the rest of your life boring.
17. Everyone’s terrified
Nobody knows what is going to happen next, so it` no wonder that even the most confident ones are terrified and unsure.
18. Everyone fucks up
Everyone, without an exception, has made at least one mistake. So, you are not alone!
19. Comparisons are completely senseless, unless you use them as a motivator
Don’t compare yourself to anyone, unless you use them to motivate yourself to rise up to their level of greatness. Otherwise, they are a waste of time and energy.
20. There will be people you have to leave behind as you grow, and that doesn’t make you a bad person
People grow and change! The older you get, the more you will start noticing that some people hold themselves back. Move forward without them, without feeling selfish at all. It is not your job to rescue these individuals.
21. Losing friends is a natural consequence of this stage of your life
Some people are not meant to last a lifetime, and it`s okay. Losing touch with some people is only a consequence of growing older.
22. You have to give yourself a break
Give yourself a break! Find the time to relax and take a break from working, forming relationships, and progressing.
23. You aren’t done changing yet, and you probably won’t be for a while
Life is constantly changing, and you need to come to terms with it. You aren’t done changing, as both you and your brain are still developing.